Deathly Night


This poem was written for my second book in the Time to Run series.


Pixabay photo by rauschenberger

My new novel is book 2 titled The Gathering from the Time to Run series. It will be published soon. The poem is based on the character, Lydia’s life, living in an apocalyptic world.

I look up and see the world has changed
I see the traffic gone, stopped, ravaged.
I see no one about
No one is here
Except for the Silence that lingers in the air.

I stare into the cold mist
The foggy streets
Riddled with bodies
Dead and gone
Bloodied and torn.

Life goes on for those of us
Who are alive and strong.
I grab what I can
Food, water, clothes,
To keep me adrift day-to-day in endless horror.

Hatred is another problem
It drifts in slowly like the clouds
Hovering about until darkness increases
Taking me to a hell
I cannot contrive.

At night I watch out
For anything that moves.
I gaze up at the stars
Turning my head from side-to-side
Listening to the withering wind.

I hear a hollowing sound
It’s the dead slowly moving
Corrupting people’s flesh.
Hunting, killing, and digging their teeth
Into bloodied bone.

I know I must move on
But I’m tired and fed up.
Life is mental and harrowing
I realize I must kill or be killed.
I gather my sharp sword
Flitting it into the dead man’s head.

I fight my way through the deathly scoundrels
Yielding my sword through flesh ridden skulls.
Each one wispy, crawling towards me.
Their chattering teeth opening and closing
Wanting my flesh to bite and suck
Until I am gone and no more.

But alas, I getaway
I am still alive in this world I live in.
Struggling each day in a sickening silence
Wondering if I’ll be whittled by biters’ sculling around
In this earthly ground.

©️ Denise Larkin 2020. All Rights Reserved.

Denise Larkin is the author of the Time to Run series. Book 1 The Biters is published on Amazon worldwide in Kindle format and paperback.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog